ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Divorced, Desperate and Delicious by Christie Craig

Divorced, Desperate and Delicious - Christie Craig

After nearly being killed by the partner who's trying to frame him, an injured Chase is on the run with no idea where to turn. But when a dog with antlers and a woman wearing nothing but a t-shirt declaring her divorced status find him, he finds himself hiding out in a house with talking appliances and cats dressed up for Christmas. In February. Either he's lost his mind, or the beautiful woman forced to take him in is completely off her rocker. Then again, she's his only chance at coming out of this alive and free.

Judging Covers: Now that I've read the book, I totally understand the cover. But I gotta be honest… When I first saw it, I thought it was some kind of self-help, empowerment book for divorcees.

The Verdict: While I'd love to go on and on about all the scenes I loved in the book, I'm afraid my descriptions would suck all the fun right out of it. From the Christmas decor in February to the talking appliances to the endless stream of answering machine messages and drop-in visits encouraging Lacy to get out there and get a sex life, the story is hilarious.

Chase is a reckless and directionless detective being framed for crimes he didn't commit, sought by both the police and the dirty cop who tried to kill him, and Lacy is a sweet but lost divorcee who is terrified of turning into a serial bride the way her mother and grandmother have been. Their attraction is pretty much instant, but the tension of the situation overshadows that at first, and then they seem to strike up a comfortable friendship.

As Chase continues to use Lacy's home as his hideout and the suspense builds, they start to give in to their attraction to each other. Lacy does her best to separate love and sex, but she's too much of a romantic to completely cage off her heart. And Chase, who's been a hot mess since his wife died, isn't really thinking past the moment. He does, however, recognize Lacy's vulnerability, and he seems to frame his words and actions around that, playing up the passion she yearns for with consideration for the patience and tenderness she needs. Their relationship is hot and sweet and often funny, and it's impossible not to love them together.

Divorced, Desperate and Delicious is a wonderfully entertaining read, with the perfect blend of romance, humor, suspense, and down-to-earth characters dealing with a crazy situation. And fortunately, there are more books in the series because, honestly, I'm not ready for this fun to end!

centralpickshijackedbyysar

Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-divorced-desperate-and-delicious-by-christie-craig