ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Max by C.J. Duggan

Max (The Summer Series) (Volume 4) - C. J. Duggan

Well, I'd been curious about Max for a while now, since we really only got a glimpse or two of him in previous books, so of course I grabbed his book when I got the chance.

Melanie's at that age where she's too old to be a kid and too young to be an adult, that impossible time in our lives where we want so badly to make our own decisions, even though we haven't quite proved we can handle that responsibility. In Melanie's case, she's already done the opposite of that, proving to her father that she's not as grown up as she'd like to be, and he's had her under lock and key since her last mishap. Now he's going out of town for a bit, though, and since he obviously can't leave her to her own devices, he leaves her in the care of his best friend's son — the young man that Melanie's had a crush on since forever.

Max has no idea what he's supposed to do with Melanie, though a lot of things he shouldn't do keep running through his mind. But she says she has a boyfriend, and she's driving him crazy. Plus, her dad trusted him with her, and to cross any lines would just be wrong. Except the more he's around her, the more he realizes she's not being entirely honest with him.

I'm not really a fan of those stories in which characters pile lies on top of lies to make themselves look better or cooler or whatever. Especially when the other party finds out and starts messing with them for it. And that's exactly what happened in Max. However, Duggan's characters are so much fun, and I love the way she spins stories, so as much as I didn't want to fall for it, I liked it quite a bit. Granted, it wasn't the full length novel I've been dying for, but it was a nice taste of the Onslow boys in the interim and a very enjoyable read. I've said it before, but if you haven't read her Summer series, it's an absolute must!

centralpickshijackedbyysar

Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-max-by-c-j-duggan