ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review & Giveaway} My Lady Faye by Sarah Hegger

My Lady Faye - Sarah Hegger

The main reason I jumped at the chance to read and review My Lady Faye was because the previous book, Sweet Bea, was so much fun and quite a bit different from your typical historical romance. So, of course, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. However, Faye's story is a good deal more serious — and at times darker — than what I was really expecting. I'm certainly not saying it was a bad read, just not exactly what I expected.

After taking her children and fleeing her brute of a husband, Lady Faye has been safe at her father's home. The years of abuse she suffered under Lord Calder can't be undone, but she's finding herself again and enjoying being a mother without having to fear for the safety of her children or herself.

Gregory was Lady Faye's friend and confidant when she was suffering at the whims of her husband, but now that he's seen her safely home, he's returned to his chosen path of seeking priesthood. But his time at the monastery hasn't erased Faye from his mind or heart, and when he's asked to save her young son, whom Calder has abducted, he can't say no.

Faye insists on going with Gregory, and no amount of insistence can persuade her differently. It's on her journey with him that she finds herself trying to resist her feelings for him, that one-time dream that he would be not only her friend and savior but her husband. Gregory's having the same issues, and the close proximity in which he finds himself with her doesn't help matters.

Their relationship made sense from the get-go, since Gregory knew her almost better than anyone, and he'd certainly witnessed the brutality she suffered for so many years. He'd been a friend to her the entire time, and as much as he wanted to devote his life to God, Faye always had his heart. While much of the innocence and humor of the first book in the series was absent in this one, My Lady Faye was more of a dramatic and emotional journey, with Gregory having to decide between his calling and his love, and Faye unable to deny her feelings for Gregory, even as the safety of her child was her first priority. Their time together wasn't really a development or rekindling of a relationship, but a realization of the one they both wanted with each other.

My Lady Faye couldn't best the awesomeness that was Sweet Bea, but it was certainly a solid and enjoyable read, and as seems to be the key to this series, quite a departure from your standard, overdone historical romance. The Sir Arthur's Legacy series is an entertaining journey back in time for the more modern-minded romance fan.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Kensington Books (via NetGalley) for free in exchange for an honest review.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/giveaway/review-giveaway-my-lady-faye-by-sarah-hegger