ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} The Hurricane by R.J. Prescott

The Hurricane - R.J. Prescott, Jenny Sims Editing 4 Indies, Louisa Maggio LM Cover Creations

Cormac was intrigued by Emily the moment he first saw her, but he stayed out of sight for months, simply watching her from a distance. Emily, running from a truly horrific past, isn't one to trust easily, but when Danny, the owner of a local gym, decides to take her under his wing, she finds herself under the protection of a whole team of fighters — and giving up her heart to one in particular.

The truth is that I wasn't at all prepared for Emily's backstory, and as soon as I figured out what it was, I put the book down. It took me two more tries to get through it, not because the story wasn't interesting or the writing was bad, but because I just really didn't want to read about something so awful. Emily's stepfather was an abusive monster, knocking her around constantly and forcing her to live in fear. And just as I'd dreaded, it soon came out that he took that abuse exactly where it should never have gone — all under the uncaring watch of her mother. Getting past that enough that I could give the rest of the story a fair shot was no easy feat.

Cormac is a hulk of a man, but his true strength is in the gentleness and patience with which he treats Emily. Following Danny's cue, he looks out for her, takes care of her, and tries to make her happy. Before long, the men at the gym are a family that she never had, and Cormac has stolen her heart. Their romance is slow and sweet, and it seemed at first that it would end with a neat little happily ever after. But that monster stepfather still had it out for her, and he made a grisly reappearance just when it seemed that everything was going great for her.

While the beginning of their story piqued my interest, it was the end that really made the tale. Faced with almost certain death and unwilling to lose anyone that she had come to love, Emily makes one hell of a sacrifice, establishing herself as a much stronger and more healed character than the one we first met. While I may have had some issues with some of the subject matter, The Hurricane turned out to be quite the entertaining read, and the intense drama surprised me and kept me turning the pages as fast as I could. Based on the quality of writing and the unique way in which the story unfolded, I have to say that I'll be keeping an eye out for the rest of this series.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Grand Central Publishing (via Net Galley) for free in exchange for an honest review.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-the-hurricane-by-r-j-prescott