ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review & Giveaway} Major Misconduct by Kelly Jamieson

Major Misconduct: An Aces Hockey Novel - Kelly Jamieson

Lovey's life seems to be a series of flighty half-decisions, and her latest has landed her at her famous hockey player brother's doorstep. Leaving her boyfriend and job behind, she's ready to make something of herself in the big city, but now that she's seen her brother's roommate, she's looking to make a move on him as well.

The Verdict: Lovey grew up in her big brother Duncan's shadow. So while the family's entire life revolved around Duncan's eventual professional hockey career, Lovey was placated and spoiled by parents who didn't have enough time for her. She's not really bitter about it, but it's clearly had an effect on who she's become as an adult. As soon as her latest romance became too serious and her job too limiting, she split, showing up unexpectedly on Duncan's doorstep and expecting him to take her in until she can build a new life for herself.

Honestly, this is where Lovey lost me a bit. She's kind and warm-hearted, and she truly doesn't harbor any bad feelings toward her brother for always hogging everyone's attention. But while she's busy trying to be her own person and prove she's not nearly as irresponsible as everyone thinks she is, she's pretty much the embodiment of being irresponsible. In many ways, she acts like an immature teenager, refusing to set Duncan's mind at ease by telling him about the business she's starting and the potential she has for success. She sees nothing wrong with mooching off of him for a while, even when he makes it clear that he doesn't really want her there, and she sometimes comes off a spoiled brat rather than a young woman striving for true independence. However, she's young, trying to figure out who she is and what makes her happy, and in that sense, her immaturity is realistic. Who among us hasn't been young and not so wise?

Duncan's roommate Marc is another story, though, and he quickly won me over. He's intelligent and thoughtful, and he's ridiculously attracted to Lovey. However, he's also dedicated to his team and career, and the last thing he needs is for Duncan to lay him out for looking at his sister. But their instant chemistry works against him, and as much as he tries to resist his feelings for her, she constantly tempts him, making keeping his distance impossible. I'm not much for French accents, but I have no problem making an exception for Mark. I wish we'd gotten a deeper look into his personality, but he definitely didn't fall flat. Having just come out of a break-up and bearing plenty of responsibility for the team, he's got his hands full already. But Lovey is the opposite he's attracted to, and aside from steaming up the place, they made for a great couple.

Major Misconduct is the first book I've read by Kelly Jamieson, but I dare say it won't be my last. It's a great start to the series, and it introduces some interesting characters whose own stories I wouldn't mind following. If this kind of sweet, sexy, funny, and romantic is what we can expect, I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

***FicCentral received this book from Random House LLC (via NetGalley) for free in exchange for an honest review.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/review-giveaway-major-misconduct-by-kelly-jamieson