ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Cape Cod Promises by Bella Andre & Melissa Foster

Cape Cod Promises (Love on Rockwell Island, Book 2) (Volume 2) - Melissa Foster, Bella Andre

Trent and Reese fell in love on Rockwell Island and thought the world was theirs for the taking. Caught up in their faith in love and dreams of their future, they set off to New York, only to fall apart within just six months. It's been years, but Trent has never gotten over the woman he lost, and despite all the moving forward she's done, Reese's heart hasn't been able to move on. But now Trent's back, and in a place this small, there's no way they'll be able to avoid each other.

The Verdict: Just buy it. Buy it now and read it and love it as much as I did. Reading this review is simply wasting time you could be spending with Trent and Reese and romance at its best. But if you must…

Trent and Reese had a bit of a whirlwind romance, but they knew love when they found it, and marriage seemed like the perfect next step. They were young, and their adult lives were really just getting started. Trent was determined to succeed as an attorney in New York, and while Reese wasn't entirely comfortable leaving the island for the big city, she would have followed him anywhere. But six months of a strange new place, away from her home and with a husband who was more interested in his job than his wife, Reese threw in the towel and returned home. And they've both been hurting ever since.

It was with the best of intentions that Trent pursued his career to the detriment of everything else. He thought he was proving that he could make his own way, that he was securing the perfect future for him and his bride, that their love could see them through anything — even his never being around. And Reese was just lost, lost in a new city and lost without her husband's presence. Just six months later, she packed her bags, left a note, and returned home to Rockwell Island without him.

Years have gone by, but the pain hasn't really diminished, and now Trent is back on Rockwell Island to take on the family business, a move that puts him in Reese's path almost immediately. The instant they run into each other, sparks fly, and their hearts break all over again. Trent's become the law world success he set out to be, but it's an empty achievement. And Reese has established herself as a local artist, but she, too, is still drowning in what could have been.

It's impossible not to relate to them in some way. I think we all know what it's like to fall so fast, especially when we're young and convinced that happily ever after is just one white picket fence away. But too soon we're faced with the reality of adult life — responsibilities and deadlines and differing ideas of just what constitutes happily ever after. It's so easy to lose sight of what's important, to take for granted that everything will always work out in the end, to assume that we're on the same page with our partner. But Trent and Reese, just like every other couple in history, soon learned differently, and their marriage didn't survive it.

Their re-connection is bittersweet and feels incredibly real. There's an almost overwhelming sense of loss, even after so much time has passed, but for every bit of regret over the past, there is an equally strong and still very present love for each other. It doesn't take long for Trent to decide that he's going to prove himself worthy of another chance, and as much as Reese wants to protect her heart, she knows that Trent has had it all along. And within a matter of days, they're both in too deep, even without having decided to give each other another shot, to really stay away from each other. Not that their friends and family are surprised. What follows is a slow burn toward surrendering to feelings that haven't diminished and working through the things that tore them apart in the first place.

Normally, this is where I'd get bored. Something about a divorced couple coming together again usually loses me, and I'm not really sure why. Perhaps it's because they know each other too well for it to feel new and exciting to me. Or maybe it's just that most books seem to rush that kind of reunion. But Melissa Foster and Bella Andre put this one together perfectly. I soaked up every scene, dwelled on every word, and died a little with every new bit of angst the characters suffered as they tried to reconcile the past and trust each other enough to seek a future together. Their story was beautifully sad but still hopeful, and even as I wanted them to just throw caution to the wind, I absolutely loved the way none of the characters' feelings were glossed over in favor of a rushed ending. Cape Cod Promises perfectly captures the frightening vulnerability and incredible love necessary to give happily ever after with someone a second try.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Tasty Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/giveaway/review-giveaway-cape-cod-promises-by-bella-andre-melissa-foster