ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Another Saturday Night and I Ain’t Got No Body by Jennie Marts

Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body - Jennie Marts

When elementary school teacher Sunny's neighbor disappears and a strange man takes up residence in the empty house next door, she and her book club friends have plenty to gossip about. He's mysterious and sexy, and Edna swears she saw him carrying a gun, but no one can figure out why he's really there — or what happened to Walter. Despite her friends' best efforts to resurrect her love life with blind dates, Sunny can't keep her eyes off the man next door, but giving into her attraction might lead to happily ever after, or it might just pair her up with a killer.

The Verdict: Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body just might be the most fun I've had reading in years.

Sunny's been in a dating rut for far too long, but while she'd love to find that special someone, she's not too worried about it. Her book club friends, on the other hand, have their own opinions on the matter. Sunny reluctantly agrees to let them set her up on a series of blind dates, and in no time, Sunny's dull summer turns slapstick crazy.

We're first introduced to the best secondary character in fiction history. Edna is one of Sunny's neighbors, a meddlesome, elderly woman who isn't exactly known for her tact. She watches the comings and goings on their street like an amateur detective, coming up with all kinds of screwball theories, but she's got a heart of gold. It's Edna who first notices the mysterious man who moves into their missing neighbor's house in the middle of the night. Sunny notices him, too, but while she's aware of Edna's suspicions, it's not Jake's gun that catches her eye first.

Jake seems like a nice enough guy, and he's more than a little easy on the eyes, but there's too much Sunny doesn't know about him. So while Sunny enjoys the view, she and the Pleasant Valley Page Turners book club do a little snooping and try to figure him out — and fix Sunny's dating life while they're at it. Their fix, however, is practically a comedy of errors, and I was so busy laughing at the scrapes Sunny found herself in that I didn't have time to wish she and Jake would just get to it already.

Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got No Body plays out like an awesome movie centered around a group of women friends who have no real boundaries. Through it all, Edna provides constant shock and hilarity, there are some rather tender “true friendship” moments wrapped up in lots of lively fun, and the mystery surrounding Jake just gets deeper. Throw in some romance, more sleuthing, a possible stalker, and poor Sunny's dates falling apart, and you've got yourself an incredibly entertaining read.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from The Romance Reviews for free in exchange for an honest review.

This review was originally written for
TRR_logo

Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-another-saturday-night-and-i-aint-got-no-body-by-jennie-marts