ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Changing Lanes by Katie Graykowski

Changing Lanes - Katie Graykowski

Changing Lanes by Katie Graykowski
Series: The Lone Stars #3
Publisher: Self-Published on November 1, 2014
Genre(s): Contemporary Romance (Adult), Romantic Comedy (Adult)
Pages: 269

centralpicks-ysar-new

Our Rating

3 Stars

Devon has never forgotten EJ, the girl he met at camp and fell in love with.  He even moved to Austin with the hope of running into her again.  But it’s been years, and while he hasn’t lost faith, he’s beginning to wonder just how much longer he’ll have to wait.  When she suddenly appears for a talk after practice, he thinks things are finally going his way.  But all those dreams of a movie-worthy reunion are dashed when she doesn’t even recognize him.

But... While I certainly enjoyed the book, there were a few things that irked me along the way.  First, I’m getting a little tired of the “I know Austin” references in this series.  There’s writing what you know and keeping things authentic, and then there’s just too much detail for detail’s sake.  Do we really have to know which specific highway exit a character takes?  Oh, and the editing really kind of sucked again.

The Verdict:  Devon is an optimist to the Nth degree, and he definitely wears his heart on his sleeve.  He’s certain that the girl he fell in love with at summer camp back when they were teenagers is the one for him, and he’s been waiting ever since to find her.  When she shows up, though, she doesn’t seem to have a clue who he is, and it’s up to him to do everything he can not only to win her over, but to make sure she remembers he’s the boy she once loved.

Laney is just awesome.  Her head is filled with numbers and statistics, and she’s incredibly awkward, but it’s so endearingly adorable in the way she simply owns her awkwardness that you just have to love her.  Raised by a single and unloving father, she’s surprisingly well-adjusted.  She has a great group of friends who love her just the way she is, and she’s a successful pediatric oncologist who truly cares about her young patients.  Devon is a source of confusion for her, though, as he seems way more interested in her than is normal for people who have just met, and his over-the-top gestures start out sweet but soon become a little overwhelming.

Devon is a character I really liked in the previous books, and I was so looking forward to getting his story, but I have to say I’m disappointed.  He seemed like such a big-hearted guy, and he is definitely that in this book, but he was reduced to something of a caricature.  He knows that Laney doesn’t remember him from camp, though it soon comes out that she simply doesn’t realize that he’s the same guy, and he sets out to jog her memory.  But it never occurs to him that he’s coming on way too strong or that buying her a car after only knowing her for a short while is too much.  Frankly, it seemed like the second he was reunited with her, he lost all common sense and was more intent on making her remember him than allowing her to love him for who he grew up to be.

That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy the book.  It had some incredibly sweet and altogether hilarious moments.  And Laney’s adventuresome attitude kept me turning the pages, even when Devon annoyed me.  But Changing Lanes strays much further from reality than the previous books, and it’s definitely not for those who are looking for a substantial read.  If you’re in the mood for fluffy and cute, though, this is the book for you.

(Buy Buttons © Jellydog Design)

Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-changing-lanes-by-katie-graykowski