ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Unforgettable by Cherie M. Hudson

Unforgettable: Always 2 - Cherie M Hudson

Unforgettable by Cherie M Hudson
Series: Always #2
Publisher: Momentum Books on October 22, 2015
Genre(s): Contemporary Romance (NA)
Pages: 284

centralpicks-ysar-new

Our Rating

5 Stars

When you read as many books as I do, it’s especially difficult to keep track of new and interesting series. And if I had missed this one on NetGalley, I would have missed an incredible story! Fortunately, Hudson’s name stood out in my mind, so I did a double-take when I saw her name on a new book and grabbed it.

Brendan and Amanda burned bright and fast when they were together, knowing he’d have to return to Australia while she remained in the U.S.  But he had hope they could hold onto some kind of relationship, only to have that hope thrown in his face when she unceremoniously dumped him at the end.  It’s been two years since they’ve seen each other, but when he gets a text from her, out of the blue, saying she needs him, he doesn’t hesitate to hop the first plane to California.  Little does he know what awaits him.

The Amanda he knew and loved is right there, and their attraction to each other is as irresistible as ever, but Brendan’s world comes crashing down when Amanda’s sister announces that he has a son, and that’s not the worst of it.  The little boy he didn’t even know existed is flirting with death, fighting cancer in a nearby hospital.  The only reason Amanda reached out to him is because she hoped he might be a donor match.

The whole “Surprise! We have a kid I didn’t tell you about,” thing has certainly been done before, and I’m sure there are quite a few that include potentially terminal illness in the plot.  But I’m not sure it’s ever been told like this.  Amanda’s reasons for breaking up with Brendan, as well as her reasons for keeping his son’s existence from him, aren’t without a bit of noble intention and a good amount of fear.  Brendan is understandably devastated and angry and at the same time thrilled to have a child, but it certainly throws a wrench in rekindling their romance.

Their story is sad, sweet, frustrating, and wonderful, and somehow it’s told in a way that just outdoes the typical romance novel.  There is, of course, a huge focus on family, but the depth of emotion portrayed for Brendan and Amanda, as well as everything they feel toward each other, had me flipping pages just as fast as I could.  It could have felt preachy or even cliche, or things could have easily been resolved with Brendan being the perfect match and everyone living happily ever after.  But life’s not that simple, and neither is Brendan and Amanda’s story, and I devoured every tension-filled moment of it.  Unforgettable is an absolute must read for any fan of romance who appreciates an emotion-filled ride and complex, believable characters in a heart-grabbing plot.

ficcentralapproved-5stars200

(Buy Buttons © Jellydog Design)

Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-unforgettable-by-cherie-m-hudson