ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Wild Hearts (Forever Wild #2) by Magan Vernon

Wild Hearts (Forever Wild #2) - Magan Vernon

After a drunken, quickie wedding in Vegas, Valerie's new husband Wes returns with her to Chicago, where they plan on getting the fastest, easiest divorce possible.  After all, isn't that what you do when you accidentally marry a stripper while on a business trip?

Only now that they're back to reality, things don't seem quite so simple.  Sure, he had her non-existant big salary in mind when he said, "I do," thinking she was his ticket to a more financially stable life.  And she... Well, she's not sure what she was thinking, but she's pretty sure it was all about his body, thanks to so many drinks that the whole night is a rather hazy memory.  But for the first time she can remember, she's waking up next to someone, not alone after someone she hooked up with sneaked out in the middle of the night.  And he treats her like he cares, really cares about her, not just getting laid.

What do you do when you don't really know the man you married, but you find yourself falling for him?

But...
I don't think I like this serialized novel thing.  Granted, this is my first experience with one, but having to wait for a whole series of books just to get the full story isn't sitting too well with me right now.  Probably because I'm dying to know what happens next.  But I still just don't understand the point.  While regular book series certainly keep me engaged, they also give me a full story each time, enough that I'll want to buy the next book in the series just because I don't want it to end.  But with the serialized novel, it feels more like it hasn't even really started.  What I've read so far, I've thoroughly enjoyed, and at this juncture, I'd even venture to say that were it all published as a single book, I'd be giving it 5 stars.  Right now, though, I'm still wallowing in the disappointment of starting a story without being able to finish it.  Oh, and the editing isn't as bad this time around, either, but still... Somewhere in the grammarverse, forgotten commas are huddled together and crying.

The Verdict...
Despite the disappointingly short length, it's still a good story -- so far.  Valerie strikes me as a very realistic character.  A bit on the heavy side, she carries lots of insecurities, but she's strong at heart and quick to stand up for herself when she feels like Max (a friend with benefits) is using her.  Wes is growing on me, too.  He was kind of douchy in the last book, though it was so short that I hoped there would be more flattering development later on.  And sure enough, he's kind of turning into a southern sweetheart.  I'm not too keen on waiting for several more books to see how it all turns out, but unless things veer way off course later in the series, I think it still makes for a sweet story and a fun read -- assuming you have a shred of patience.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Inkslinger PR for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/giveaway/review-giveaway-wild-hearts-by-magan-vernon