ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review } Exquisite Betrayal by A.M. Hargrove

Exquisite Betrayal - A.M. Hargrove

Fallon couldn’t be more excited.  She’s headed off to Vegas with her blogging besties for a romance novel convention featuring her favorite author, R.T. Sinclair.  She’s going to cut loose with her friends, meet the writing genius behind her favorite books, and maybe even finally lose her V-card with the drop-dead gorgeous man she keeps running into everywhere they go.

A few too many drinks land her in his hotel room for the night, and while it’s a total disaster, the next morning seems more than salvageable.  But a series of mishaps leaves her stranded with no ID, no money, and no way to get home except the handsome stranger who just might be the most infuriating man she’s ever met.

Ryland and Fallon’s chemistry is palpable and makes for some incredibly steamy bedroom scenes, which was reason enough to enjoy the book.  But I also love the way Fallon stands up for herself.  Where most books like this have a female lead who tends to hold back, Fallon has no trouble putting Ryland in his place when he screws up.  And for his part, Ryland is quick to admit to his mistakes, another rarity for romance novels.

div

But...
This book is a lot higher on the cheese factor than I would have liked, to the point that I quit reading it about halfway through.  But after it sat here for a week, I found myself curious, and I picked it up again.  This time, I started over, skimming past the way-too-much-heart-spilling and weird co-dependency the characters had with each other, and I not only managed to finish it, but I enjoyed it quite a bit more this time around.

div

The Verdict...
While the story in many ways follows the standard plot for romance novels, it does so in a way that is at times refreshingly different.  The beginning of the story was absolutely hilarious, and Fallon’s blogging friends were simply awesome.  It’s rare that I actually laugh out loud while reading much of anything, but the airport scene had me in stitches.  Unfortunately, though, that humor didn’t really carry over into the rest of the story, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t an entertaining read.  It’s a bit of a roller coaster ride of drama, complete with miscommunication and lots of sexual tension that makes for some intense make-up sex.  It moves from lighthearted to melodramatic without missing a beat, so if you’re looking for a emotionally charged read, check it out.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/review-giveaway-exquisite-betrayal-by-a-m-hargrove