ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} The Escape Diaries by Juliet Rosetti

The Escape Diaries - Juliet Rosetti

Mazie Maguire got a raw deal, no doubt about it.  Sure, her husband was a sleezeball, and some might even say he got what was coming to him, but she wasn’t the one to pull the trigger!  Problem is, no one believes her, including the jury who put her behind bars.  Four years into her life sentence, she spends her days doing what she’s told, avoiding the poisonous snacks her deranged mother-in-law keeps mailing her, and dreaming of an escape.  Then, in a crazy twist of fate, she gets it, the opportunity to make a run for it.

Without a plan or even anyone to turn to, Mazie takes off in the aftermath of a tornado that’s left her standing out in the open.  Through woods and swamps and neighborhoods, she keeps moving, not sure what she’s going to do next, but determined to stay out of prison.  What happens next is a brilliant mix of mystery, romance, and all around craziness that will have you guessing and cheering through to the last page.

The Verdict...
Wow.  Every time I expected one thing, something else happened, making this one of the most fun, unpredictable books I’ve read in a long time.  Mazie’s understandably jaded and not nearly as naive as she was back when she was certain that the American justice system wouldn’t let her down.  But now that she’s a wanted fugitive whose face is plastered across the national news, she has to find her own justice.

And as the mystery unfolded, I was blown away, both by its simplicity and intricacy.  Yeah, I know that’s a total contradiction, but trust me.  Part Double Jeopardy, part The Fugitive, her hunt for her own one-armed man leads her on some crazy chases and straight into the arms of a hot news camera man who is more interested in her than he is in getting the next big scoop.

I loved loved loved the realistic way in which Mazie approached every crazy scenario that was thrown at her.  She wasn’t some hardened convict out for vengeance, and she didn’t have an incredible trove of resources at her disposal.  She was scared and desperate and had to create her own luck, and she managed to do so in a way that was utterly believable and often hilarious.  I couldn’t put the book down until I’d read every last word, and I can’t wait to read the next book in the series!

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Book Monster Promotions for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/tour-book-review/review-the-escape-diaries-by-juliet-rosetti