ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review & Giveaway} Deeper by Robin York

Deeper - Robin York

Reputation is everything, and Caroline’s is ruined.  Her breakup with Nate seemed to go smoothly, but then when she least expected it, he struck back in a way she never would have imagined.  Pictures of her most private moments with him have hit the internet, and they keep popping up faster than she can get them taken down.  With her sex life on display, her future is ruined.

West is the best kind of bad boy.  He’s smart, driven, and oozing sex appeal.  With his full class load, he also holds down multiple jobs and has a little not-so-legal side business, slinging weed, and somehow he still finds time for such fine sports as rubber chicken bowling.  But even though he lived right across the hall from Caroline during her first year at college, they’ve hardly ever spoken.  So when he lays a beating on Nate, the last thing she expects is to be the reason for his actions.

An awkward confrontation between Caroline and West in the library soon leads to late nights spent at the bakery, one of West’s jobs, where he teaches her to make bread and she gets in some studying.  But they’re not friends.  Sure, they talk, they spend way too much time together, and they text each other a dozen times a day.  But they are definitely not friends.  After all, what could a disgraced college student and the campus drug dealer have in common?

div

TheVerdictI’m going to marry West…or this book…or both.  I was appalled and fascinated and invested in this story within the first few pages, and it didn’t let me go until the very end.  Okay, that’s a lie.  It still hasn’t let me go, which is why you might find me shoving kids and old ladies out of the way if they happen to be standing between me and the next book in the series when it comes out.  Black Friday’s going to look like a cake walk.  Seriously, though, I think this is one of the best books I’ve read in years.

What happened to Caroline is frighteningly common, and while we all want to shake these girls and ask them what the hell they were thinking, why they let someone take pictures of them like that, we’ve also all been in that place where we trust someone so implicitly that we just know they could never betray us.  And like Nate, they often do, even if it’s just by leaving the toilet seat up.  Deeper so perfectly describes the mortifying humiliation, the complete loss of confidence, the disgusting comments that result when sex pics go viral.  I would say I can’t even imagine how devastating that would be, but then again, I’ve now been in Caroline’s head, and it made me want to curl up in a ball and hide in the closet for the next hundred years or so.

And West… What can I say about West?  He surprised me.  I expected a conceited man-whore, and in some ways, he delivered, but he was so much more than that.  He was a walking contradiction and an incredible friend, and even when they “weren’t friends,” he knew they were so much more.  Throwing punches aside, he had a subtle, quiet way of saving Caroline from the judgmental voices in her head without disrupting her life.  He didn’t ride in on a white horse, beat up her ex, and carry her off into the sunset.  He just stood there, an infatuated drug dealer baking bread and getting her to talk, making her laugh, making sure she knew that the pictures didn’t define her, and he waited until she saw the sunset for herself.

Deeper takes on a tough issue, wraps it in angst and love and hot-hot-hot chemistry and friendship and awesome, awesome West, delivering an incredibly emotional and ultimately beautiful story.  It ends not with an annoying cliffhanger, but with a good deal of healing and a promise of something more just over the horizon.  The sequel Harder comes out in July, and I CANNOT WAIT to read what comes next!

ficcentralapproved-5stars

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Inkslinger PR for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/giveaway/review-deeper-by-robin-york