ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Twelfth Night by Lauren Sweet

Twelfth Night - Lauren Sweet

Trouble is quickly escalating in the small town of Bremerton.  Blinded by the Snow Queen’s dark magic, the townspeople don’t even know what’s hit them, and now that people are getting hurt, it seems only Gilly and Niko are left to do anything about it.

The Snow Queen’s demons are creating havoc, and now the Snow Queen seems intent upon taking over the school dance.  It may seem trivial and juvenile, but surely nothing good can come of having all the town’s youth in one place on the darkest night of the year.  As the rest of the town goes about their lives as if hell hasn’t come to stay in Bremerton, Gilly and Niko sneak off to research the legends and see if there’s any chance they can return things to normal.  It won’t be easy, though.

With the demons, Grandfather Winter, and the Snow Queen herself watching their every move, threats come in all kinds of terrifying shapes and sizes.  The mysterious Bran still lurks nearby, possibly good and possibly evil, and Gilly’s dad — the one person who would know exactly what to do — is still missing without a word.  As the powers from both sides, the demons who want her town and the dangerous otherworldly creatures who must be called upon to save it, converge upon the old church at the height of a supernatural storm, everything rests in the hands of a lovesick teenager.

div
TheVerdictIt’s official.  I am absolutely, ridiculously addicted to the Bitter Snow Series.  While I’m not usually the greatest fan of the paranormal, the world Lauren Sweet has created weaves the natural and supernatural worlds together in such a way that it feels real.  With all the magic of an epic quest and all the bumbling insecurity of a typical teenager, parallel worlds and odd creatures converge so perfectly in what could easily be the small town down the road.

The entire series is an incredibly fresh, exciting, magical take on the timeless lesson of what happens when seemingly old-fashioned traditions are ignored, when the true purposes and protections of those traditions are revealed.  Told through the eyes of an otherwise normal teenager completely unprepared for adventure, the story is filled with action, wit, and danger.  My only disappointment is that I’ve got to somehow wait patiently for the next book.   Then again, I’m thrilled to know the story isn’t over, and more is coming soon!

ficcentralapproved-5stars

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Bewitching Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-twelfth-night-by-lauren-sweet