ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} The Romeo Club by Rebekah L. Purdy

The Romeo Club - Rebekah L. Purdy

Delyla is pretty, popular, and paired off with the “perfect” boyfriend.  But while she has everything going for her, her brother Drake is struggling to catch the attention of his own perfect girl.  It’s going to take one hell of a makeover to de-nerdify him, but Delyla is just the one to do it.  His transformation is enough to get the girl, and a grand idea is born.

With her newly formed Romeo Club, Delyla sets out to change the looks and lives of the socially invisible.  Drake’s nerdy friends are the first in line, all determined to claim a place on the high school social scale.  But the more time she spends with Drake’s best friend Trey, the more she begins to really see him.  Throw in her own jealous boyfriend and Trey’s new biggest fan, the pretty, perfect Portia, and things are about to get messy.

div

ButPoor Delyla and Kenadi.  It would seem that their parents learned to read and write via Hooked on Phonics.  Or maybe their moms were still drunk on painkillers when they filled out the birth certificates?  Or perhaps they just thought they’d be totally uncool and lame unique by making sure they would receive lots of misspelled Valentines cards in third grade, never be able to buy any personalized knickknacks without special ordering them, and have to spell their name out to pretty much any surveyor, census taker, or other person writing them down for the rest of their lives.  Not gonna lie… I almost went the DNF route just because the names annoyed the crap outta me.

div

TheVerdict

This book reminds me of those old PG teen fomance flicks you still love when you’re 40.  It’s cute, without any truly life-altering drama or angst, and with all the young luck and romance you can handle.  Delyla’s plan for making over the nerds in her school has all the makings of a hit teen movie — minus the conveniently choreographed group dance as the credits roll.

For all her supposed perfection, Delyla is a bit on the nerdy side, too, and it’s pretty clear early on that she and Trey would be a great match.  Of course, she’s not supposed to be looking at him that way, and he’s too busy looking everywhere but at her for either of them to realize it.  Delyla’s jock boyfriend suddenly doesn’t seem so charming, and as things begin to heat up between Trey and Portia, it seems like Delyla’s only option may be to ruin the very plan she made work so well.

I’m sure you can probably guess how it all turns out, but don’t let the not-so-surprising ending keep you away from the book.  The Romeo Club is romantic, sweet, and just plain fun.  It’s that perfect story we all know can never happen in the melodramatic bubble of high school but dream of anyhow.  And at the heart of it all is a simple friendship that will make you wish you could go back to high school and do it all over again.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from YA Bound Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/tour-book-review/review-romeo-club-rebekah-l-purdy