ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} The Story of You and Me by Pamela DuMond

The Story of You and Me: a love story - Pamela DuMond

Nineteen year old Sophie is not your average teenager.  Facing early onset MS, she’s determined to find healing, not only for herself but for her grandmother, who’s been living with it for longer than Sophie’s been alive.  Her journey lands her in Los Angeles, where she seeks answers from experts and experimental treatments, but L.A. isn’t all sunshine and shopping, and she soon finds herself with a driver/bodyguard who’s far too appealing to remain just a friend.

div

ButI can’t quite put my finger on it, but as much as I liked and pulled for Sophie, there were times when I felt a bit disconnected from her.  I thought perhaps it was because I’ve never faced anything as devastating as MS, but then there are other stories with equally foreign challenges in which I had no trouble placing myself.

div

TheVerdictSophie’s inner strength and determination had me rooting for her from the very beginning, and I love that while Alejandro was very much a knight riding to her rescue, she remained in control by hiring him as her driver.  Of course, that provided the perfect excuse for them to spend time together, and it also justified her not telling him about her illness.

Their friendship is fast-blooming, with easy dialog, genuine emotion, and unique obstacles that deliver more that the cliche “dark secret.”  And let’s not overlook their chemistry.  Fueled by their very believable friendship, the heat between these two makes for steamy read, even with the somber premise.  Alex is gorgeous, of course, but also sweet, funny, and patient, and he’s more than perfect for Sophie.  Best of all, though, is the ending.  While it would have been easy to tie things up neatly with a miracle cure and an easy future, Sophie and Alex’s tale ends on a happy but realistic note, which in many ways is much more hopeful than the usual ride off into the sunset.

DuMond writes The Story of You and Me with all the drama, emotion, and chemistry of any good love story, but what she delivers is quite a bit more.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Xpresso Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-story-pamela-dumond