ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} A Masterpiece of Our Love by Nikki Lynn Barrett

A Masterpiece of Our Love - Nikki Lynn Barrett

Their connection rooted in tragedy, Rebecca and Hunter meet every year at the site where they lost their families and nearly died in a plane crash.  For years, it’s been their chance to reflect, to remember with the only other person who could possibly understand.  But without a word, Hunter simply stops showing up.  One year without him stretches into two stretches into four.  And just when she’s about to give up on what she plans as her last visit, there he is.

But while their reunion may be a happy one, it’s also the beginning of something else, something they just can’t figure out.  Strange things are happening around them, mysterious notes are showing up, and while neither one of them has any clue what it means, they know it can’t be good…

div

Judging CoversOkay, if I’m being completely honest, the cover was okay.  Not amazing, but okay.  It captured the setting well enough, but it didn’t really feel like it reflected the characters.  However, the real reason I almost passed this book up was the title.  I know, I know.  That’s kind of a stupid reason.  But the title seemed more like a Lifetime made-for-TV movie title than one for a great romance, and it wasn’t until someone else mentioned having read and enjoyed it that I went back and took another look.

div

TheVerdictDespite my initial misgivings about the title, it turned out to be a great read.  Just the way these two came together and came to depend on each other is unlike any other story I’ve read, but there were some pretty realistic aspects of it all that also pulled me in.

Hunter was the one who pulled Becca from the wreckage when they were kids, but she didn’t come away unscathed.  Still, she handles her “shortcomings” well, and Hunter has remained her savior.  However, rather than being the stereotypical alpha male, he manages to be simultaneously sweet and protective, showing more genuine concern than overbearing testosterone, and even in the midst of a mystery, their friendship and romance is incredibly sweet.

As for that mystery?  Well, this is book one of a series, and since there’s much more to come, it’s not entirely solved in this one story, but surprisingly enough, it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger.  Nikki Lynn Barrett does a fabulous job of wrapping up this part of the tale while leaving room for plenty more.  That’s a rare find in series like this, and it made me love the story all the more.

A Masterpiece of Our Love is one part mystery and one part romance, with strong characters I couldn’t help but love and a wonderfully unique foundation for the story.  It’s everything I normally read romance novels for, but it has an entirely different twist that makes it so much more.  I’m sure there will be a bit of a wait before the next book comes out, but I’ve no doubt I’ll be grabbing it as soon as it’s available.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Tasty Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/giveaway/review-a-masterpiece-of-our-love-by-nikki-lynn-barrett