ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} The Sexiest Man Alive by Juliet Rosetti

The Sexiest Man Alive - Juliet Rosetti

When her Sexiest Man Alive boyfriend Ben disappears for days, forgets to call, and seems to enjoy a little too much all the women of Milwaukee throwing themselves at him, Mazie’s had enough.  She may be making minimum wage, living in an efficiency apartment over a drag queen’s boutique, and driving around in a moody van covered in vegetables, but she knows she deserves better than what she’s getting.  So she does what she does best — breaks up with him, goes on the date from hell, and gets kidnapped by a drug running motorcycle gang.

The Verdict:  Have I mentioned that I love love love this series?  Mazie’s life is an adventure in itself, from the grumpy old people throwing food at her to the sketchiest blind date in history to the crazy “passion party” she attends where otherwise sweet almost-menopausal women suddenly become sex-crazed lunatics.  But when Mazie stumbles upon a fugitive running from a deadly gang of meth-slinging bikers and winds up locked in the tower of an abandoned insane asylum, all that crazy she’s been living pays off.  Armed with a can lid, some pantyhose, and an impressive will to survive whatever comes next, we get Mazie at her best and Ben finally coming to his senses.

Ben’s hilariously clueless, sweet, and frustrating as usual.  He seems to assume a whole hell of a lot, like Mazie must know how he feels even though he’s only ever said it once, that everything in their relationship is secure though they barely adhere to labels, and no matter how mad she gets, she’ll always come back around.  Normally I’d be so frustrated with a character who acted like that, but there’s just something about the way Ben’s written that cracks me up, even when I want to slap some sense into him.

Of course, he loves Mazie like crazy — which is a good thing, considering that’s exactly what life with her is like — and when Mazie lands herself in danger the way only she can, it’s Ben to the rescue.  With the help of that odd menagerie of friends she’s managed to settle with since her escape from prison in the first book, of course.

I’m guessing this is the end of the series, which kind of breaks my heart, but it was a pretty perfect ending.  If you haven’t read the other books, grab them up now and get started.  The Sexiest Man Alive works just fine as a standalone, but the laughs are better if you know the history — and the history is hilarious.  In the meantime, I’m going to be impatiently waiting for whatever Juliet Rosetti comes up with next.  At this point, I know it’s guaranteed to be awesome.

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Random House LLC (via NetGalley) for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/review-the-sexiest-man-alive-by-juliet-rosetti