ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review} Bastian’s Storm by Shay Savage

Bastian's Storm - Shay Savage

He thought their life on the island was perfect, but all that came to an abrupt end when they were rescued. Now back in civilization, a place Bastian tended to avoid before he met Raine, he’s completely lost. She’s going back to school and seeing her friends, and he’s just trying not to slip back into the bottle.

But even in a high-end condo, he can’t escape his past, and when his old associates come calling, he has no choice but to return to the arena, a kill or be killed fight to the death that seems to be the only way he can have any semblance of a life with Raine. Left in a harsh wilderness with one weapon and five opponents to take out, he’s going to have to kill everyone in his way just to get out alive.

The Verdict: I didn’t think I was going to like this one as much as Surviving Raine. After all, that one was more of a twisted love story with an incredibly flawed hero, but this one was clearly going to be more about the fight. Still, I’d waited long enough for this continuation of their story, so I wasn’t going to pass it up. And what do you know? I loved it.

Watching Bastian try to acclimate to normal society was both sad and hilarious. He’s too messed up to be even remotely civil, and he spends his time wanting to punch everyone except Raine. But he’s pretty damned honest about who he is, and while sometimes his attitude is more than a little upsetting, it’s clear he’s no less devoted to Raine than he was on the island. If anything, he’s even more protective of her, and his neediness is sad and endearing.

Of course, once the fight started, I was kind of freaking out. I haven’t yet finished the Evan Arden books, but to know going in that Evan was one of his opponents? I couldn’t imagine how this story could possibly have a happy ending. Either Lia or Raine was going to lose big. Of course, I probably should have had more faith in Shay Savage. Sure, she likes to throw us curve balls, but she’s not into torturing her readers, and the ending (which I soooo want to spoil but won’t) was simply brilliant!

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from MAE Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/book-review/tour-book-review/review-bastians-storm-by-shay-savage