ficcentral

Fic Central

Reading, writing, blogging, & design junkie.

{Review & Giveaway} Prima Donna by Laura Drewry

Prima Donna - Laura Drewry

Saying everything’s fine doesn’t make it true, no matter how many times Regan repeats the words. Her mother’s health isn’t getting any better, and the cost of her care has been eating away at what little savings she has. And as if that wasn’t enough to deal with, now she’s losing her business, forced to close her salon when the landlord sells the building and there’s nowhere else in town where she can rent. And it’s not like being unemployed makes her a great candidate for a loan. So when Carter Scott shows up, looking all kinds of delicious and offering a much needed distraction… Well, who can blame her for letting things get a little carried away. After all, it’s just one night. Isn’t it?

The Verdict: I’m kind of beyond words. With Prima Donna, Laura Drewry has perfectly combined humor, angst, and romance into an incredibly entertaining, emotional story that I’ll most likely read over and over again.

Regan is self-sufficient, independent, and determined to handle whatever problems she has on her own. Her life has never been easy, but she’s worked hard to make something of herself and of the career she loves, and even when faced with losing it all, she refuses to let it get her completely down. Where most women in her shoes would throw an epic pity party, she stubbornly refuses to accept any sympathy and resolves to take whatever job she can get until she can reopen her salon and move forward.

Carter is most definitely not looking for a relationship, but he’s not that player that you love to hate and hate to love. Sure, he’s cocky and makes no secret of his no-strings status, but he’s witty and silly and so good at heart that I almost forgot about his playboy ways. His odd fascination with Regan, not to mention her stubborn independence, makes for an awkward friendship that slowly but surely grows into something much more substantial.

What I loved most about their story (and was true of Plain Jayne as well) is that nothing was rushed. Neither Regan nor Carter pushed themselves too far into each others’ lives, they didn’t end up in a bunch of contrived situations that forced them to be alone together, and they took their time getting to know each other before letting that one night mark the beginning of something important. Their backgrounds are slowly revealed to show the struggles they both have with commitment and dependence on other people, and that shared fear allows them to understand and eventually get close enough to each other that they can’t deny they have something special. And don’t even get me started on their sizzling chemistry!

Prima Donna is entertaining, heartwarming, and fun, and I’d venture to say it’s the perfect book for true fans of romance who are tired of reading the same old formulaic stories. It’s fresh, often hilarious, and sometimes heartbreaking, but in the end, it’s simply perfect. I can’t wait to read whatever Drewy comes up with next!

centralpickshijackedbyysar

***FicCentral received this book from Tasty Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here.
Source: http://ficcentral.com/central-picks/giveaway/review-giveaway-prima-donna-by-laura-drewry